Understanding the Different Types of Love
As a human being, love is one of your most basic needs. Which is why it is important that you not only understand the different types of love, but what your personal love style is and how to give and receive love.
The Different Types of Love
A sociologist at California State University, Terry Hatkoff, has identified six different types of love:
- Romantic love – which is sexual and passionate;
- Best friend love – characterized by fondness and affection;
- Logical love – which is the love shared between two people have similar goals or values;
- Playful love – characterized by feelings of flirtation and being challenged;
- Possessive love – which is characterized by feelings of jealousy and obsession; and
- Unselfish love – characterized by kindness and nurturing.
How Different Love Styles Function
People in a relationship–whether a romantic relationship or not–have different love styles. As such, it is important to not only identify your own love style, but the love style of the person with whom you share a relationship. For example, a person who has unselfish love may display kindness, and expect their partner to do small things for them–and notice when they do small things–in return. On the other hand, a person who feels possessive love may actually enjoy when their partner is jealous, or feel hurt when they’re not.
If you want to learn more about love styles and how to communicate styles of love, you can refer to this recent article published in The New York Times.
What type of love do you feel? What style do you bring to a relationship?
Connect with Me:
Full site http://bit.ly/cpENJY
Blog site http://bit.ly/2fn67jh